The MUWRP laboratory has well trained and highly qualified professionals. Our state of the art research and clinical facility serves as a training center for clinical labs, diagnostics, molecular biology, cellular immunology, PBMC processing and quality management systems. In addition, the centre supports professional development by offering mentorship, academic and research support in post graduate training (MSc and PhD) as well as support to abstract, manuscript and grants writing at the local and international levels. Read more here
MUWRP scientists and partners are part of a robust International medical research initiative focused on combating infectious disease threats. The program has made many contributions to public health in Uganda, including studies on a vaccine for Ebola / Marburg, surveillance of other emerging infectious disease threats and successful completion of many HIV cohort and vaccine studies. Read more here
- Kirunda H, Kabi F, Muwereza N, Kabuuka T, Kerfua SD, Kasaija PD, Byarugaba DK, Wabwire-Mangen F (2015). Seroprevalence and Risk Factors for Exposure of Free-Range Poultry to Avian Influenza Viruses in Important Bird Areas in Uganda. Avian Diseases. 2015 Mar;59(1):64-70.
- Kirunda H, Mugimba KK, Erima B, Mimbe D, Byarugaba DK, Wabwire-Mangen F. (2015). Predictors for Risk Factors for Spread of Avian Influenza Viruses by Poultry Handlers in Live bird markets in Uganda. Zoonoses Public Health. 2015 Aug;62(5):334-43. doi: 10.1111/zph.12151.
RV144 Studies in Thailand Shed Light on Additional Boosts
MHRP researchers have determined that the most effective boost is when both ALVAC and AIDSVAX are given together, or when AIDSVAX is given alone. Researchers have also found that the late boosts in this study, given six to eight years after initial vaccination, are also producing some surprising and promising immune responses. Studies are ongoing to characterize these responses, along with analysis of host genetic factors that may play a role.
Post RV144: A year in review
Each May, communities around the globe observe HIV Vaccine Awareness Day to recognize clinical trial volunteers, scientists and others who are working together to find a safe and effective preventive HIV vaccine. To mark the occasion, we highlight the the most recent accomplishments that build on the success of the RV144 trial. The largest and only successful trial to date, RV144 or the “Thai Trial,” showed that a vaccine regimen reduced the risk of infection by 31%. Vaccine efficacy peaked early—about 60% —at 12 months, after which it declined quickly.
The U.S. Military HIV Research Program has been selected as a Clinical Trials Unit (CTU) with four clinical research sites that will receive funding from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) to continue HIV vaccine and therapeutics research. MHRP will conduct research as part of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network (HVTN) and AIDS Clincal Trials Group (ACTG), which it has already been a part of since 2008. The HVTN and ACTG are two of !ve Clinical Trials Networks directed and funded by NIAID that work together to address NIAID’s HIV/AIDS scienti!c priorities.
- Kirunda H, Erima B, Tumushabe A, Kiconco J, Tugume T, Mulei S, Mimbe D, Mworozi E, Bwogi J, Luswa L, Kibuuka H, Millard M, Byaruhanga A, Ducatez MF, Krauss S, Webby RJ, Webster RG, Wurapa K, Byarugaba DK, Wabwire-Mangen F. (2014). Prevalence of influenza A viruses in livestock and free-living waterfowl in Uganda. BMC Veterinary Research. 2014 Feb 27;10:50. doi: 10.1186/1746-6148-10-50.
- Byarugaba DK, Erima B, Millard M, Kibuuka H, L L, Bwogi J, Mimbe D, Mworozi EA, Sharp B, Krauss S, Webby RJ, Webster RG, Martin SK, Wabwire-Mangen F, Ducatez MF. (2013). Genetic analysis of influenza B viruses isolated in Uganda during the 2009-2010 seasons. Virology Journal. 2013 Jan 5;10:11. doi: 10.1186/1743-422X-10-11
- Byarugaba DK, Ducatez MF, Erima B, Mworozi EA, Millard M, Kibuuka H, Lukwago L, Bwogi J, Kaira BB, Mimbe M, Schnabel DC, Krauss S, Darnell D , Webby RJ, Webster RG and Wabwire-Mangen F (2011). Molecular Epidemiology of Influenza A/H3N2 Viruses Circulating in Uganda. PLoS ONE 6(11): e27803. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0027803. http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0027803
- Otto JL, Baliga P, Sanchez JL, Johns MC, Gray GC, Grieco J, Lescano AG, Mothershead JL, Wagar EJ, Blazes DL; AFHSC-GEIS Training Writing Group, Achila R, Baker W, Blair P, Brown M, Bulimo W, Byarugaba D, Coldren R, Cooper M, Ducatez M, Espinosa B, Ewings P, Guerrero A, Hawksworth T, Jackson C, Klena JD, Kraus S, Macintosh V, Mansour M, Maupin G, Maza J, Montgomery J, Ndip L, Pavlin J, Quintana M, Richard W, Rosenau D, Saeed T, Sinclair L, Smith I, Smith J, Styles T, Talaat M, Tobias S, Vettori J, Villinski J, Wabwire-Mangen F . (2011).Training initiatives within the AFHSC-Global Emerging Infections Surveillance and Response System: support for IHR (2005).BMC Public Health. 2011 Mar 4;11 Suppl 2:S5.
- Burke RL, Vest KG, Eick AA, Sanchez JL, Johns MC, Pavlin JA, Jarman RG, Mothershead JL, Quintana M, Palys T, Cooper MJ, Guan J, Schnabel D, Waitumbi J, Wilma A, Daniels C, Brown ML, Tobias S, Kasper MR, Williams M, Tjaden JA, Oyofo B, Styles T, Blair PJ, Hawksworth A, Montgomery JM, Razuri H, Laguna-Torres A, Schoepp RJ, Norwood DA, Macintosh VH, Gibbons T, Gray GC, Blazes DL, Russell KL; AFHSC-GEIS Influenza Surveillance Writing Group, Rubenstein J, Hathaway K, Gibbons R, Yoon IK, Saunders D, Gaywee J, Stoner M, Timmermans A, Shrestha SK, Velasco JM, Alera MT, Tannitisupawong D, Myint KS, Pichyangkul S, Woods B, Jerke KH, Koenig MG, Byarugaba DK, Mangen FW, Assefa B, Williams M, Brice G, Mansour M, Pimentel G, Sebeny P, Talaat M, Saeed T, Espinosa B, Faix D, Maves R, Kochel T, Smith J, Guerrero A, Maupin G, Sjoberg P, Duffy M, Garner J, Canas L, Macias E, Kuschner RA, Shanks D, Lewis S, Nowak G, Ndip LM, Wolfe N, Saylors K. (2011). Department of Defense influenza and other respiratory disease surveillance during the 2009 pandemic.BMC Public Health. 2011 Mar 4;11 Suppl 2:S6.
- Sanchez JL, Johns MC, Burke RL, Vest KG, Fukuda MM, Yoon IK, Lon C, Quintana M, Schnabel DC, Pimentel G, Mansour M, Tobias S, Montgomery JM, Gray GC, Saylors K, Ndip LM, Lewis S, Blair PJ, Sjoberg PA, Kuschner RA, Russell KL, Blazes DL; AFHSC-GEIS Capacity Building Writing Group, Witt CJ, Money NN, Gaydos JC, Pavlin JA, Gibbons RV, Jarman RG, Stoner M, Shrestha SK, Owens AB, Iioshi N, Osuna MA, Martin SK, Gordon SW, Bulimo WD, Waitumbi DJ, Assefa B, Tjaden JA, Earhart KC, Kasper MR, Brice GT, Rogers WO, Kochel T, Laguna-Torres VA, Garcia J, Baker W, Wolfe N, Tamoufe U, Djoko CF, Fair JN, Akoachere JF, Feighner B, Hawksworth A, Myers CA, Courtney WG, Macintosh VA, Gibbons T, Macias EA, Grogl M, O’Neil MT, Lyons AG, Houng HS, Rueda L, Mattero A, Sekonde E, Sang R, Sang W, Palys TJ, Jerke KH, Millard M, Erima B, Mimbe D, Byarugaba D, Wabwire-Mangen F, Shiau D, Wells N, Bacon D, Misinzo G, Kulanga C, Haverkamp G, Kohi YM, Brown ML, Klein TA, Meyers M, Schoepp RJ, Norwood DA, Cooper MJ, Maza JP, Reeves WE, Guan J. (2011). Capacity-building efforts by the AFHSC-GEIS program.BMC Public Health. 2011 Mar 4;11 Suppl 2:S4.
- Ronald L. Burke, Karl C. Kronmann, Candelaria C. Daniels, Mitchell Meyers, Denis K. Byarugaba, Erica Dueger, Terry A. Klein, and Kelly G. Vest, (2011). A Review of Zoonotic Disease Surveillance Supported by the Armed Forces Health Surveillance Center (AFHSC) Zoonosis and Public Health, (doi: 10.1111/j.1863-2378.2011.01440) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22128834.
- Sekiziyivu Arthur, Kibuuka H, Millard M, Watyema C, Matsiko D, Wabwire-Mangen F, Michael N, Robb M;Â Participant Retention of Women in African HIV Prevention Efficacy Trials; A Critical Literature Review. A poster presentation at the AIDS Vaccine conference 28 Sep – 1 Oct 2010, Atlanta.
- Peter Oballah, Leigh Anne Eller, Michael A. Eller, Benson Ouma, Britta Flach, Ali Taylor, Mark de Souza, Fred Wabwire-Mangen, Nelson L. Michael, Merlin L. Robb, David Montefiori and Victoria R. Polonis.Â B cell depletion, CD4 counts and viral load impact on ADCC, binding antibodies and neutralizing antibody profiles in HIV-1 subtype A chronically infected Ugandans.A poster presentation at the AIDS Vaccine conference 28 Sep – 1 Oct 2010, Atlanta.
- Breda M., Mwidu, G., Nyero A., Millard M., Chamberlin J.and Close N. Community Acceptance of Male Medical Circumcision (MMC):Â Community acceptance of male medical circumcision (MMC) a 2009 clustered cross-sectional pre- and post sensitization knowledge, attitudes, and beliefs (KAB) survey conducted in rural Uganda. Abstract presentation; International AIDS Conference 18- 23 July 2010; Vienna.
- Mwidu, G., Breda, M., Magala, F., Webba M., Chamberlin J., and Close N.Â Retrospective clinical data review from a Ugandan medical male circumcision program (MMC) summary of procedures, safety and level of satisfaction. Abstract presentation; International AIDS Conference 18- 23 July 2010; Vienna.
- Kiwanuka N, Robb M, Laeyendecker O, Kigozi G, Wabwire-Mangen F, Makumbi FE, Nalugoda F, Kagaayi J, Eller M, Eller LA, Serwadda D, Sewankambo NK, Reynolds SJ, Quinn TC, Gray RH, Wawer MJ, Whalen CC.Â HIV-1 viral subtype differences in the rate of CD4+ T-cell decline among HIV seroincident antiretroviral naive persons in Rakai district, Uganda. Uganda. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2010 Jun;54(2):180-4. PubMed PMID: 20010433; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2877752.
- Koehler RN, Walsh AM, Sanders-Buell EE, Eller LA, Eller M, Currier JR,b Bautista CT, Wabwire-Mangen F, Hoelscher M, Maboko L, Kim J, Michael NL, Robb ML, McCutchan FE, Kijak GH.Â High-throughput high-resolution class I HLA genotyping in East Africa.. PLoS One. 2010 May 20;5(5):e10751. PubMed PMID: 20505773; PubMedÂ Central PMCID: PMC2873994.
- Theodore Ruel, L A Eller, H Cao, E Charlebois, J Achan, M Kamya, J Wong, and D Havlir.Â HIV Subtype D Is Associated with Rapid CD4 Decline in ART-naive Ugandan Children; CROI 16- 19 February 2010 Abstract
- HannahÂ Kibuuka, RobertÂ Kimutai, LeonardÂ Maboko, FredÂ Sawe, MirjamÂ S.Â Schunk, ArneÂ Kroidl, DouglasÂ Shaffer, LeighÂ AnneÂ Eller, RukiaÂ Kibaya, MichaelÂ A.Â Eller, KarinÂ B.Â Schindler, AlexandraÂ Schuetz, MonicaÂ Millard, JasonÂ Kroll, LenÂ Dally, MichaelÂ Hoelscher, RobertÂ Bailer, JosephineÂ H.Â Cox, MaryÂ Marovich, DeborahÂ L.Â Birx, BarneyÂ S.Â Graham, NelsonÂ L.Â Michael, MarkÂ S.Â de Souza, and MerlinÂ L.Â Robb. Cellular Immune Responses in Ugandan Volunteers enrolled in a Phase 1 HIV-1 DNA (VRC-HIVDNA009-00-VP), rAd5 (VRC-HIVADV014-00-VP) Boost Vaccine Trial. J Infect Diseases Volume 201, Issue 4, Page 600â€“607, Feb 2010.
- Leigh Anne Eller, Benson Ouma, Peter Oballah, Michael A. Eller, Mark de Souza, Fred Wabwire-Mangen, Oliver Laeyendecker, Thomas Quinn, Noah Kiwanuka, David Serwadda, Nelson Sewankambo, Maria Wawer, Ronald Gray, Nelson L. Michael, Merlin L. Robb, David Montefiori, Bruce K. Brown, and Victoria R. Polonis.Â Breath and magnitude of neutralizing antibody responses in subjects infected with HIV-1 subtype D or D containing recombinants in Rakai District, Uganda..A poster presentation at the AIDS Vaccine conference 19-22 October 2009, Paris.
- Eller MA, Eller LA, Ouma BJ, Thelian D, Gonzalez VD, Guwatudde D, McCutchan FE, Marovich MA, Michael NL, de Souza MS, Wabwire-Mangen F, Robb ML, Currier JR, Sandberg JK.Â Elevated Natural Killer Cell Activity Despite Altered Functional and Phenotypic Profile in Ugandans With HIV-1 Clade A or Clade D Infection. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2009 Aug 1;51(4):380-9.
- Koehler RN, Walsh AM, Moqueet N, Currier JR, Eller MA, Eller LA,Wabwire-Mangen F, Michael NL, Robb ML, McCutchan FE, Kijak GH.Â High-throughput genotyping of KIR2DL2,L3, KIR3DL1,S1, and their HLA class I ligands using real-time PCR. Tissue Antigens. 2009 Jul; 74(1):73-80. PubMed PMID: 19522772.
- Hannah Kibuuka, David Guwatudde, Robert Kimutai, Lucas Maganga, Leonard Maboko, Cecilia Watyema, Fredrick Sawe, Douglas Shaffer, Dickson Matsiko, Monica Millard, Nelson Michael, Fred Wabwire-Mangen, Merlin Robb.Â Contraceptive Use in Women Enrolled into Preventive HIV Vaccine Trials; Experience from a Phase I,II Trial in East Africa PLoS ONE 4(4): e5164. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0005164; April 10, 2009.
- Kijak GH, Walsh AM, Koehler RN, Moqueet N, Eller LA, Eller M, Currier JR, Wang Z, Wabwire-Mangen F, Kibuuka HN, Michael NL, Robb ML, McCutchan FE. HLA class I allele and haplotype diversity in Ugandans supports Tissue Antigens. Mar 2009;73(3):262-269.
- Guwatudde D, Wabwire-Mangen F, Eller LA, Eller M, McCutchan F, et al. 2009Â Relatively Low HIV Infection Rates in Rural Uganda, but with High Potential for a Rise A Cohort Study in Kayunga District, UgandaPLoS ONE 4(1): e4145. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0004145; Â January 7, 2009.
- Eller LA, Eller MA, Ouma B, Kataaha P, Kyabaggu D, Tumusiime R, Wandege J, Sanya R, Sateren WB, Wabwire-Mangen F, Kibuuka H, Robb ML, Michael NL, de Souza MS.Â Reference Intervals in Healthy Adult Ugandan Blood Donors and Their Impact on Conducting International Vaccine Trials PLoS ONE 3(12): e3919. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0003919; Â December 11, 2008.
- Leigh Anne Eller, Michael Eller, Prossy Naluyima, Denis Kyabaggu, Fred Wabwire-Mangen,Â Mary Marovich, Josephine Cox, Nelson Michael, Barney Graham, Hannah Kibuuka, Merlin Robb, and Mark de Souza. Cellular Immune Responses in Ugandan Volunteers enrolled in a Phase 1 HIV-1 DNA (VRC-HIVDNA009-00-VP), rAd5 (VRC-HIVADV014-00-VP) Boost Vaccine Trial A poster presentation at the AIDS Vaccine conference October 13-18, 2008.
- G. Mwidu, M. Breda, F. Ssemukuutu, M. Millard, T. Hamm, K. Lennon. Cheap and enthusiastic – HIV clinic treatment clubs provision key HIV services, PLHIV play an integral role. .A poster presentation at the International AIDS Conference July 2008; Mexico City.
- M. Isabirye, M. Breda, M. Millard, T. Hamm, K. Lennon. Success, optimism and unexpected benefits – a model rollout or RTC to four rural Ugandan health centers.A poster presentation at the International AIDS Conference July 2008; Mexico City.
- R. Tumusiime, M. Eller, L.A. Eller, M. Millard, T. Hamm, L. Kelley, M. Breda.Â Building laboratory capacity at a rural ugandan district hospital laboratory to monitor HIV patients A poster presentation at the International AIDS Conference July 2008; Mexico City.
- C Watyema, HN Kibuuka, J Ojwang, A Sekiziyivu, A Tindikahwa, R Serunjogi, M Millard, N Michael, M RobbÂ Clinical Illnesses and Laboratory abnormalities in Healthy HIV Vaccine Trial Participants in Uganda; Implication for future trials in resource limited settings. Poster presentation at the Keystone Symposia, May 2008, Kampala, Uganda.
- NoahÂ Kiwanuka, OliverÂ Laeyendecker, MerlinÂ Robb, GodfreyÂ Kigozi, MiguelÂ Arroyo, FrancineÂ McCutchan, LeighÂ AnneÂ Eller, MichaelÂ Eller, FredÂ Makumbi, DeborahÂ Birx, FredÂ Wabwireâ€Mangen, DavidÂ Serwadda, NelsonÂ K.Â Sewankambo, ThomasÂ C.Â Quinn, MariaÂ Wawer, RonaldÂ Gray.Â Effect of Human Immunodeficiency Virus Type 1. The Journal of Infectious Diseases. Apr 2008, Vol. 197, No. 5: 707-713.
2004 – 2007
- Eller LA,Â Eller MA,Â Ouma BJ,Â Kataaha P,Â Bagaya BS,Â Olemukan RL,Â Erima S,Â Kawala L,Â de Souza MS,Â Kibuuka H,Â Wabwire-Mangen F,Â Peel SA,Â O’Connell RJ,Â Robb ML,Â Michael NL.Â Large-Scale Human Immunodeficiency Virus Rapid Test Evaluation in a Low-Prevalence Ugandan Blood Bank Population, Journal of Clinical Microbiology, October 2007, p. 3281-3285, Vol. 45, No. 10.
- Eller MA,Â Eller LA,Â Opollo MS,Â Ouma BJ,Â Oballah PO,Â Galley L,Â Karnasuta C,Â Kim SR,Â Robb ML,Â Michael NL,Â Kibuuka H,Wabwire-Mangen F,Â Graham BS,Â Birx DL,Â de Souza MS,Â Cox JH Induction of HIV-specific functional immune responses by a multiclade HIV-1 DNA vaccine candidate in healthy Ugandans. Vaccine 2007 Nov 7; 25(45):7737-42. Epub 2007 Sep 17.
- S. Mawa, Prof. F. Wabwire-Mangen, H. Kibuuka, Merlin L. Robb, M. Millard, B. Nanzigu. Challenges and lessons learned from HIV vaccine trials recruitment in Uganda. Abstract presentation at the Keystone Symposia, June 2007, Montreal, Canada.
H N Kibuuka, F Wabwire-Mangen, LA Eller, M Eller, M Millard, B Graham, M Robb.Â Multiclade HIV 1 DNA Vaccine Testing in Uganda. Challenges to Enrolment Poster presentation at the Keystone Symposia, June 2007, Montreal, Canada.
- Miguel AÂ Arroyo, Warren BÂ Sateren, DavidÂ Serwadda, Ronald HÂ Gray, Maria JÂ Wawer, Nelson KÂ Sewankambo, NoahÂ Kiwanuka, GodfreyÂ Kigozi, FredÂ Wabwire-Mangen, MichaelÂ Eller, Leigh AnneÂ Eller, Deborah LÂ Birx, Merlin LÂ Robb, Francine EÂ McCutchanÂ Higher HIV 1 Incidence and Genetic Complexity Along Main Roads in Rakai District, Uganda. JAIDS Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes: 1 December 2006 – Volume 43 – Issue 4 – pp 440-445.
- Arroyo, M.A., Robb, M.R., Jagodzinski, L., Kiwanuka, N., Kiddugavu, M., Wabwire-Mangen, F., et al.Â Surveillance of HIV-1 subtypes by Multi-region Hybridization Assay suggests the predominance of subtype D and a high frequency of dual-infection in Rakai District, Uganda. International Conference on AIDS (15th: 2004: Bangkok, Thailand),Â Int Conf AIDS. 2004 Jul 11-16; 15: abstract no. MoPeC3441.