MUWRP has been working in Uganda to provide HIV care, treatment and prevention services since 2005 with the support of the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR).
PEPFAR services play an integral part of the MUWRP program, and have grown from a small care and treatment program to a comprehensive program that currently provides HIV treatment, care and prevention to more than tens of thousands of people in the Kayunga, Mukono, Buikwe and Buvuma districts.
Through the district based health systems strengthening approach, MUWRP support focuses on three broad areas: HIV prevention, HIV care and treatment, and health systems strengthening. MUWRP’s strong emphasis on efficiency has helped the Program achieve improved economies in procurement, highly coordinated service delivery, and expanded coverage of programs with low marginal costs.
Expansion and improvement efforts that MUWRP has implemented under PEPFAR include:
- Expanding the number of HIV clinical sites
- Providing efficient laboratory capacity
- Infrastructure remodeling
- District-level data system strengthening
- Supply-chain management strengthening
- Human capacity development
- Innovative task shifting
- Youth-focused programs
- Comprehensive home-based OVC services
- A variety of counseling and testing and prevention programs including medical male circumcision and index client testing