Reports to: Laboratory Field Coordinator.
Duty Station: Kawolo District Hospital
The incumbent will serve as a laboratory technologist for the Kawolo District Hospital supported by MUWRP. This position will require the incumbent to be knowledgeable in most laboratory activities as well as other project activities that pertain to the laboratory and its scientific development.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Proficiently perform Specimen accessioning and PBMC, Plasma and serum processing per SOP and become proficient enough to conduct the assay without daily oversight. Cell processing includes isolation of PBMCs and counting, in addition to freezing and storage of the samples.
- Proficiently conduct Automated and Manual Haematology as established in the SOPs for each assay.
- Proficiently conduct clinical chemistry, troubleshooting and maintenance of the equipment as established in the SOPs and operator’s manual.
- Proficiently perform pregnancy and urinalysis assays as established in the SOPs.
- The incumbent will be required to work closely with the various heads of sections in the MUWRP Laboratory in Mulago.
- Perform QA/QC, maintain laboratory equipment, including but not limited to service and repair as established by SOPs and QA/QC guidelines.
- Maintain lab databases and keep up with current software applications for specific departments.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND KNOWLEDGE: Bachelor’s degree in biomedical laboratory technology, Bachelors in medical laboratory Sciences or any related science laboratory field.
1-2 years’ experience with PBMC processing as well as conducting clinical chemistry, manual and automated hematology will be an added advantage.
PHYSICAL ABILITY: Ability to professionally communicate in writing and verbally or other means deemed appropriate. The ability to work and stay in Kawolo. The position holder will from time to time be required to lift some lab supplies to and from the lab to the required destination as he/she may be directed by his/her superiors.
Position: Laboratory Administrator (1)
Reports to: Laboratory Supervisor
Duty Station: Mulago Kampala
Job Objective/Purpose: The position exists to provide a first point of contact for people outside the Project, to facilitate communications within the Project, and to provide basic clerical support to the laboratory department and promote the goals of the project.
POSITION SUMMARY: The incumbent will serve as a Laboratory Administrator for the Makerere – University Walter Reed Project (MUWRP) located at the Mulago School of Health Sciences. This position is Head of Section and will include monitoring and supervising data & Administration staff in the lab and being responsible for timely, efficient and accurate results and communications for that section.
The candidate’s primary responsibility will be to receive and handle lab data, process and send to the respective collaborating projects as well as data archiving. They will also receive visitors and mails and refer them to the appropriate departments as well as receiving incoming calls and directing them appropriately. This position will be responsible for implementation of telephone use policy.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure the Lab Data/Administrative team present well and communicate clearly to all other members of the MUWRP group.
- Receive and enter data in the database from Lab supervisor or designee and/or Lab Director and give it first priority and bearing in mind turn-around-time (TAT) of the results to the collaborating Project(s).
- Ability to understand Freezer works and troubleshoot when possible. Report all data entry problems to the Lab Supervisor or designee.
- Photocopying, file raw data and reports, as well as archival of laboratory documentation. (Records management and organization and maintenance of records)
- Coordination of meetings, keeping minutes during meetings or, preparation and distribution of minutes prior to next meeting. If unable to do this then be able to designate to the Lab administrative assistant
- Provide support to the billing of laboratory assays performed for external and internal collaborations, receive and monitor billing of outsourced laboratory testing and liaise with the accounting department to ensure bills are distributed and paid accordingly. To add on shipments when performed to billing.
- Develop and generate monthly reports to characterize the turnaround time and workload for assays performed by protocol in the laboratory.
- Ensures that the telephone system is used as per the ICT policy
- Receive Visitors and put them in contact with appropriate person/department.
- Receive incoming calls courteously and directs them to the appropriate staff members.
- Take messages accurately and refer to person/department involved.
- Keep written log of all messages, visitors, deliveries, etc.
- Receive mail, packages etc. and refer to designated locations
- Provide secretarial services and logistical support to Project staff when necessary.
- Maintenance of the reception area in a clean and professional manner.
- Any other duties as directed by the Laboratory Supervisor or designee.
Required Skills and Qualification
- At least a degree in Secretarial Studies, Social Sciences, or related field from a recognized institution.
- At least 3 years relevant experience in data handling / front office management and handling administrative duties in a medical and or Lab setting.
- Experience in records management.
- Ability to oversee, train and motivate lab members of the Data/administration staff to perform well
- Excellent Communication and interpersonal skills required for relaying information to clinic, lab and administration sites.
- Good computer skills, including but not limited to Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, E-mail and Internet. Experience with database entry a plus.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Highly organized, detail oriented and self-motivated.
- Experience in a hospital/clinical/research setting is an added advantage.
- Responsible with a pleasing approach to the public and co-workers.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology and some experience in note taking for scientific meetings desirable.
Interested candidates should complete a MUWRP Application Form
Please download from here:
Submit Application Form, Application letter and Photocopies of academic qualifications and Curriculum Vitae with 3 referees to:
The Human Resource & Administration Manager
Makerere University Walter Reed Project
Plot 42 Nakasero Road.
P.O. Box 16524 Kampala.
Not later than 22nd January 2018
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED.