POSITION SUMMARY: The incumbent will serve as a Laboratory technologist at Makerere University-Walter Reed Project (MUWRP) Emerging Infectious Diseases Program (EIDP) located at Makerere University College of Veterinary Medicine, Animal Resources and Biosecurity (COVAB) (Kampala) and/or at Uganda Virus Research Institute (UVRI) (Entebbe) under the Influenza Surveillance Project.
The Laboratory technologist will serve under the immediate supervision of the Research Scientist/Laboratory Manager and Senior Laboratory Technologist or the Laboratory Manager’s designee and report to him.
The primary responsibility of the technologist will undertake sample processing, laboratory testing procedures under specific projects, ensure QA/QC procedures are maintained, Specimen accessioning, sample processing (preparation of cell lines, passaging of samples), sample storage, equipment monitoring, media preparation. Additionally, she/he is expected to perform Laboratory safety duties and learn new research techniques as they come into the laboratory or assist visiting staff or new staff in conducting different experimental assays. The incumbent may be required to assist the Senior Laboratory Technologist in teaching new technologists, university students and student attachments in laboratory practices. The incumbent should be flexible and expect to work outside office hours including weekends and holidays as may be deemed necessary.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & TRAINING RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Proficiently perform Specimen accessioning, including registration of specimens into the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS), preparation of sample for both testing and storage and become proficient enough to conduct the assay without daily oversight.
- Proficiently perform sample processing and sample testing using the various testing algorithms at EIDL as established by the SOPs for each assay.
- Proficiently perform QA/QC procedures, maintain and enforce all standard operating procedures as well as equipment maintenance and troubleshooting as may be required.
- Must have knowledge of basic laboratory safety rules and equipment including identification of, precautions for, and emergency response to biological, chemical, electrical, mechanical, and physical hazards.
- Work independently and/or with others, collect and transport samples from various surveillance sites using proper sample handling protocol as may be required. Sample collection may involve going on water, climbing rocky areas, lifting, visiting marshy areas, markets, farms and other hazardous sites.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND KNOWLEDGE: Bachelor’s degree in Biomedical Laboratory Technology or, Bachelors in Medical Laboratory Sciences. Diploma in medical laboratory technology will be an added advantage. The candidate should have at least 5 years minimal experience working in a busy biomedical research environment. The candidate must have been registered with Allied Health Professional Council.
PHYSICAL ABILITY: The incumbent should have ability to travel to program sentinel sites for sample collection within the country as may be required. The incumbent may from time to time be required to lift some lab supplies to and from the lab to the required destination as may be directed by superiors.
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: The incumbent will work under the supervision of the Laboratory Manager or Senior Laboratory Technologist or his/her designee as mutually agreed upon with the Laboratory Manager.
Interested candidates should complete a MUWRP Application Form
Please download from here:
Submit Application Form, Application letter and Photocopies of academic qualifications and Curriculum Vitae with 3 referees to:
The Human Resource & Administration Manager
Makerere University Walter Reed Project
Plot 42 Nakasero Road.
P.O. Box 16524 Kampala.
Before 20th May 2019, 5:00pm
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED.